Welcome to my announcements page. Announcements will be made providing information about vocabulary definitions and testing dates as well as any pertinent information.
The following words will be on the second test. The test format will be a fill in the blank with a word bank. All classes will be tested on these words. Each day I will add that days vocabulary on this announcement until all 20 have been added. The test will be held September 22, 2021.
Parents/Students: There will be a vocabulary check done on 9/17/21. Each set of words should be dated as follows with the corresponding vocabulary and each set should be on its own page.
21. Stem- The main trunk of a plant; specifically: a primary plant axis that develops buds and shoots instead of roots.
22. Petiole- a slender stem that supports the blade of a foliage leaf.
23. Stipule- either of a pair of appendages borne at the base of the petiole in many plants.
24. Midrib- the central vein of a leaf.
25. Vein- any of the vascular bundles forming the framework of a leaf.
26. Pinnate- Resembling a feather especially in having similar parts arranged on opposite sides of an axis like the barbs on the rachis of a feather.
27. Bipinnate- With leaflets arranged on side branches off a main axis; twice pinnate leaflets off of leaflets.
28. Palmate- having lobes radiating from a common point.
29. Node- a point on a stem at which a leaf or leaves are inserted.
30. Internode- an interval or part between two nodes (as of a stem).
31. Erosion- The wearing away, washing away, or removal of soil by wind, water, or man.
32. Aerate- Loosening or puncturing the soil to increase water penetration.
33. Grain- A seed or fruit of a cereal grass.
34. Cereal- Any plant of the grass family yielding an edible grain, as wheat, rye, oats, rice, or corn.
35. Germinate- The process of the sprouting of a seed.
36. Photosynthesis- Formation of carbohydrates from carbon dioxide and a source of hydrogen (as water) in the chlorophyll-containing tissues of plants exposed to light.
37. Chlorophyll- The green pigment in leaves. When present and healthy, usually dominates all other pigments.
38.Hydroponics- The science of growing plants in mineral solutions or liquid, instead of in soil.
39. Venation- An arrangement or system of veins (as in the tissue of a leaf or the wing of an insect).
40. Tuber- A short fleshy usually underground stem bearing minute scale leaves each of which bears a bud in its axil and is potentially able to produce a new plant.