In the Spring of 2022, the CPSB Technology Training Center/Title Department began the 3D Printing Project which distributed 400 MakerBot Sketch 3D Printers into classrooms throughout the parish. The goal of this project was to provide students access to innovative technologies that will advance STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) education. 3D printing technology not only supports the development of problem solving and design thinking skills, but also synergizes STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education and art education.
The project requirements included:
- 90 minute face-to-face training session where participants learned about 3D printing and how to use the MakerBot Sketch printer
- one hour webinar on the design process and tools to create 3D objects
- one hour webinar on resources available to embed 3D printing within the current curriculum
- submission of picture and description of participants' first 3D printed object
- submission of a task card with 3D design that connects to the participants' curriculum