Calcasieu Parish School Board has implemented the state-mandated prevention-oriented child assault and abuse awareness program called Erin’s Law which in Louisiana is found at R.S. 17:81 Y. Erin’s Law was first passed in Illinois, and since then 37 other states have adopted the law, including Louisiana, although not all of these laws are identical. The Louisiana version of Erin’s Law requires all public schools to provide education on child assault awareness, including what constitutes abuse or an assault. Child abuse includes sexual abuse. Schools will be presenting information to all students during the school year. Our goal is for students to be able to recognize abuse and learn how to speak out if they need assistance.
It is important for parents to become aware of and educated on signs and symptoms of abuse. The resource list and informational tips provided below for parents will act as a gateway to gaining pertinent information on the program and abuse prevention.
Erin's Law Resources:
- Childhelp 1-800-4-A-CHILD (Childhelp is a national nonprofit organization that helps victims of child abuse and neglect.) The hotline operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- RAINN 1-800-656-HOPE (rainn.org) Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network) is the nation’s largest anti-sexual assault organization.
- Stop It Now! 1-888-PREVENT (stopitnow.org)Stop It Now! Offers adults the tools they need to prevent sexual abuse before a child is harmed.
- Department of Children and Family Services/Child Welfare (Child Protection) 1-855-452-5437 to report or file an abuse or neglect case.
- louisiana211.org United Way provides a free and confidential service to find local help resources. Just dial 211. Available 24/7
- Suicide Hotline Number 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Counseling Text Hotline 833-898-8336. (833.TXT.TEEN)