Megan Shillow | 2nd Grade
Calcasieu Parish Public Library Reading Program!
Friday, May 27th, is the day to register for the Calcasieu Parish Public Library's Reading Program! Win great prizes just for reading books!
Prevent Summer Learning Loss
1. Make Time for Learning. Set aside time for your child to read and practice math skills each day during the summer break – 15 to 30 minutes per day is all it takes.
2. Improve Reading Comprehension. Difficulty with reading and comprehension can be improved through regular practice. Sometimes, low reading comprehension stems from the child not being interested in what he or she is reading. So, when selecting books, it’s important to make sure your child is excited by the content. Also, make sure the reading material will stretch your child’s skills, introducing new words and ideas. If you need help finding the right reading material, visit your local library.
3. Encourage Creative Writing. Encourage all types of writing to help your child find his or her voice, from poems to cartoons. If your child is experiencing writer’s block, you can help by introducing new and exciting topics and ideas. Journal writing can start from a young age and will encourage your child to write freely, creating a love for expression and the written word.
4. Develop Math Skills. Working on just three to four math problems per day during the summer can prevent math skills from getting rusty. Practice is important, but you don’t have to turn summer break into a set of drills. Try to apply math to real life to make it come alive for your child.
5. Encourage STEM Thinking. You can boost STEM thinking at home by encouraging your child’s natural questioning and curiosity. Instead of giving them the answer or solution to a problem immediately, encourage your child to come up with several possible solutions on their own.
Last Day of School
Students get out at noon on Wednesday!
Our awards day will be May 18th at 1:00!
We are planning a fun day of Easter-themed learning next Thursday! Notes were sent home yesterday! Please check your child's folder.
Field Trip Reminder
Field trip money and forms are due Friday morning!
Students are allowed to wear jeans and a Valentine or red shirt tomorrow!
100th Day of School
Saddle up for the 100th day of school! Students may wear western wear tomorrow, February 3rd!
Our shopping day will be Monday, December 6th!
Join our Remind!
Send a text to 81010
Text the message @shillow2