Welcome to my announcements page. Announcements will be made providing information about vocabulary definitions and testing dates as well as any pertinent information.
12/5/22 - 12/9/22
Monday- Vocabulary Review.
Tuesday- Vocabulary Test #3
Wednesday- Work in garden if weather permits.
Thursday- Work in garden if weather permits.
Friday- Work in garden if weather permits.
The following words will be on the third test. The test format will be a fill in the blank with a word bank. All classes will be tested on these words. Each day I will add that days vocabulary on this announcement until all 20 have been added. The test will be held Dec. 6, 2022.
Parents/Students: There will be a vocabulary check done on Dec. 1, 2022. Each set of words should be dated as follows with the corresponding vocabulary and each set should be on its own page.
41. Rhizome- A somewhat elongate usually horizontal subterranean plant stem that is often thickened by deposits of reserve food material, produces shoots above and roots below, and is distinguished from a true root in possessing buds, nodes, and usually scalelike leaves.
42. Stolon- A horizontal branch from the base of a plant that produces plants from buds at its tips or nodes.
43. Bud- Modified leaves growing just below a flower. Often confused with the flower itself.
44. Whorl- A circular arrangement of like parts, as leaves or flowers, around a point on an axis; verticil.
45. Verticil- A whorl or circle, as of leaves or hairs, arranged around a point on an axis.
46. Perianth- The floral structure comprised of the calyx and corolla, especially when the two whorls are fused.
47. Corolla- The part of the flower that consists of the separate or fused petals and constitutes the inner whorl of the perianth.
48. Calyx- The usually green outer whorl of a flower consisting of sepals.
49. Sepal- One of the modified leaves comprising a calyx.
50. Carpels- One of the ovule bearing structures in an angiosperm that comprises the innermost whorl of a flower.
51. Angiosperm- a plant that has flowers and produces seeds enclosed within a carpel.
52. Pistil- A single carpel or group of fused carpels usually differentiated into an ovary, style, and stigma.
53. Ovary- The enlarged rounded usually basal portion of the pistil or gynoecium of an angiospermous plant that bears the ovules and consists of one or more carpels.
54. Ovule- The plant part that contains the embryo sac and hence the female germ cell, which after fertilization develops into a seed.
55. Style- The filiform usually elongated part of the pistil bearing a stigma at its apex.
56. Stigma- The usually apical part of the pistil of a flower which receives the pollen grains and on which they germinate.
57. Petal- One of the modified, often brightly colored leaves of the corolla of a flower.
58. Stamen- The pollen producing male organ of a flower that consists of an anther and a filament.
59. Anther- The part of the stamen that produces and contains pollen and is usually borne on a stalk.
60. Filament- The anther bearing stalk of a stamen.