Welcome to Mrs. Dara Johnson's Class
Here are a couple of really neat sites that you may explore different careers in the Ag field. This may help you decide what type of job you will see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Please click on the link for students.
- Quest for Success: https://edgefactor.com/questforsuccess
- Jumpstart content: https://edgefactor.com/zone/ctejumpstart
The Louisiana FFA website has some Ag virtual lessons if you would like to check it out.
All students must learn the Creed and recite it from memory to the class. This will be due at the end of the first nine weeks.
Eligible FFA students (students that paid the $25 fee and purchased the FFA shirt) are invited to go to the McNeese State University Invitational Judging Contest this year (if we have it). The students will receive an information sheet on this event and a permission slip will have to be signed by student and parent by the due date. The student can not be failing any class and must be in good standing at SHS. We will go to Mr. Gatti's in Sulphur after we leave MSU Farm.
Scholarship opportunity for students who are going into an Agriculture/Agriscience Field in college may find out more information by going to the following website: http://www.chsinc.com/stewardship (please copy and paste into the URL address).
We begin every class with Daily Science followed by an activity based on the Agriscience Curriculum listed below. Almost everything we do in class is one grade.
Agriscience 1 Syllabus:
Unit One: Introduction to Agriculture
1. Orientation to the Agriscience Program
2. Career Opportunities in the Agriculture Industry
3. The Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) Program
4. Introduction to Agricultural Portfolio Development and tests on the Creed
5. Classroom/Lab Safety and Management (NCCER)
Unit Two: Agricultural Leadership/FFA
1. Introduction to the National FFA Organization and NCCER Core Curriculum Tests
2. Individual/Team Development through FFA Opportunities
3. Development of Interpersonal Skills (NCCER)
4. Parliamentary Procedure
Unit Three: Animal Science
1. Animal Anatomy and Physiology
2. Animal Selection Based on Physiology and Genetics
3. Disease and Parasites
4. Animal Nutrition
5. Career Options in Animal Science
Unit Four: Soil Science
1. Soil Formation
2. Soil Properties
3. Chemical and Biological Properties of the Soil
Unit Five: Energy
1. Energy Usage in Agriculture
2. Sources of Energy
3. Alternative Energy Sources for Agriculture
Unit Six: Plant Science
1. Plant Growth
2. Plant Environment
3. Pest Control, Weeds, Insects and Diseases
Unit Seven: Food Science Technology
1. History and Trends of Food Processing
2. Chemical and Biological Food Deterioration
3. Food Processing Methods
Unit Eight: Agricultural Mechanics
5. Cold Metals/Light Welding
6. Small Engine Technology
7. Arc Welding