Return to Headlines

P-EBT Louisiana

Parent Flyer 

  1. How will P-EBT benefits be issued? Will they be on my SNAP card? Will they be on the P-EBT card I got last year?

    P-EBT benefits will be issued on a Louisiana Purchase EBT card. A separate card will be issued for each eligible child, and each card will be in the recipient child's name. Each child's card will be mailed to the address provided by the child's school or district. 

    P-EBT benefits will NOT be loaded onto SNAP recipients' regular SNAP EBT cards. 

    P-EBT benefits for 2020-21 will NOT be loaded onto the same P-EBT cards used for the 2019-20 school year.

    IMPORTANT: Please keep your new P-EBT card, as future P-EBT benefits for each eligible child will be loaded to the same card.

  2. Are P-EBT benefits transferable? Can I give away or sell my card? What if I don't want the benefits?

    P-EBT benefits are non-transferable. If you wish to decline the benefits, please destroy the card.

    It is illegal to sell, trade or give away your P-EBT benefits, PIN or Louisiana EBT card; to allow a retailer to buy your food benefits in exchange for cash; and to use someone else's P-EBT benefits or Louisiana EBT card for your household. If you are found guilty of intentional program violations, you will be disqualified from SNAP benefits and will have to pay back any unauthorized P-EBT benefits issued.

  3. How do I report my child's address change in time to get P-EBT benefits?

    All student information and changes, including address changes, must be verified by the child's school. If you need to change an address, you should first call the school. This is the fastest way to get the updated information into the P-EBT system. If you are not successful in reaching your child’s school, you can contact the DCFS LAHelpU Customer Contact Center at 1-888-524-3578 and press 9 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. DCFS will contact your child’s school or school district to request information required to confirm your address change. Please know this will take additional time and further delay your receipt of benefits. The quickest way to change an address in the P-EBT system is for you to make the request directly with your child’s school.  Cards will not be forwarded.

  4. How much will I get in P-EBT benefits?

    Benefit amounts are based on whether a child is in a fully virtual (by computer) or hybrid (partially computer-based and partially in person) learning schedule. Students on a fully virtual learning schedule will receive $120.71 per month, and students on a hybrid schedule will receive $48.23 per month, for each month during the school year. These amounts were calculated based on federal reimbursement rates for school meal programs. 

    Each school or district will report the child's learning schedule to DCFS for each month in the school year. If a child's learning schedule changes from one category to another, their benefit amount will change accordingly.

  5. When will P-EBT benefits be issued for the 2020-21 school year?

    P-EBT benefits for the 2020-21 school year will be issued in installments over the Summer of 2021. Due to the number of cards being issued, it may take several weeks for you to receive your child’s card. Please be patient and do not request a new card, as that would only cause more delay.

    Cards will be issued as DCFS receives information from each school. Therefore, families with more than one child may receive their children’s cards at different times, according to when each child’s school submitted their information. 


    Will kids 0-5 years old get P-EBT?

    USDA has announced that funding is available for P-EBT for children 0-5 years old who were receiving SNAP while child care centers were closed due to the pandemic, and DCFS is developing a plan to distribute those benefits to eligible families. We do not expect there to be an application process. Under current proposals, P-EBT benefits for eligible children 0-5 years old would be loaded automatically onto their household’s regular SNAP card. Stay tuned for more information.

  7. How do I activate the P-EBT card?

          The child’s Student ID or activation number will be needed in place of the            of their Social Security Number to activate the P-EBT card. Parents who              do not have their child’s Local Student ID or activation number should                contact the school.